Skip to main content

3-29-2018 "Even as I Have Loved You" John 13:1-9; 34; Maundy Thursday


The “Maundy” of Maundy Thursday is actually derivative of our word mandate or command. At some point in my life, I came to the conclusion that Maundy Thursday is every bit as important as Palm Sunday, Good Friday or even Easter Sunday for that matter. Indeed, the lessons of each are essential to a life of faithful discipleship. We understand well the life changing significance of those other events; the triumphal entry and the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, but what then we ask is the essential provided by Maundy Thursday? That word “Maundy” or command specifically references a moment Jesus shared with the twelve on the eve of His crucifixion.  It was a special moment, a brief moment nestled between the crowds who sang “Hosanna!” just days before, and the masses of people who shouted “Crucify!” the day following.

I. Indeed, this was a very different moment. Jesus takes this one last opportunity away from the crowds and the people and the noise to eat with his closest friends, to share with them what at first appears to be a rather ordinary moment. At a certain point in the night, he gives the command, the mandatum that would come to mark that event forever. He says, John 13:34:“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”
 
At first glance, there may appear to be nothing really new here at all; it may seem to be merely a restatement of the Old Testament commandment to love our neighbor as ourselves. But there are 6 additional words that Jesus includes here and those 6 words change not only the lives of the disciples but our lives as well.

It's worth noting that up until this point in the Gospel of John, the author has never stated explicitly that Jesus loved his disciples. We all know that verse in John 3:16 where Jesus talks about God's love for the entire world, but on this night, in this moment, things all of a sudden get profoundly personal. It's not about the world. It's not about Israel. It's not even about the person sitting next to you; it's about you. 
For those sitting at the table with Jesus that night, it's clear that before they could ever understand what this new  commandment compelled them to go out and actually do, first they had to wrap their minds around what that command revealed about them.  See, what is new here is that before this commandment to love others is about others, it's about us; “even as I have loved you,” so with this commandment, it’s all about the love of Jesus becoming truly personal in your life. Jesus chose this graphic display of individual servanthood to communicate to the twelve that before it can ever be about the person sitting next to you, it must be about you. Before you can ever hope to make God’s love real in the minds and hearts of others, it will have to be real, truly and personally real, in your own life. 
They had to grasp the depths of it; “even as I have loved you,” Jesus said. Now truly, the question is: how did Jesus love them? At the very start of the story in John 13:1, John writes, “Having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.” That statement might better translate He loved them to the greatest possible extent. It's less a statement about time and more a statement about depth, a statement about how far this love would actually reach into a person's life. What does it look like to love a person like that? Part of what is so special about this night is that in the middle of all the chaos Jesus pauses to make it very clear; to show them.
As evening begins, it doesn't seem like there was anything too out of the ordinary. Jesus knew what the next few days would hold, but for everyone else, it was business as usual. Now we obviously don't know the details of that moment—what went on over dinner or what they talked about—but we do know that in the middle of the meal, Jesus interrupts it; He shakes up the ordinary.
II. Jesus gets up, and takes off his outer garment, leaving him clad only in a tunic, a shorter garment that was actually what servants would have worn to serve a meal. Jesus is now dressed as a servant.  Paul would later write to the Philippians (2:7), that Jesus made himself nothing by taking the very form of a servant. It's worth noting the language Paul uses in this passage. Notice he doesn't just say Jesus came and served. No, he actually puts on the very nature of a servant. He actually changed his clothes. He actually becomes a servant. 
There's a difference between choosing to serve and choosing to be a servant. When I choose to serve, that might be a good thing, but at the end of the day, I'm still in charge. I still decide whom I will serve and when I will serve.  As I was thinking about that, I was reminded of my early teen years. There were certain things I was expected to do every day after school. But I never started anything until shortly before my parents would arrive home. Oh, they would always find me hard at work, whatever the chores of the day, but I was always in charge of my agenda. 
See, when you choose to serve, you are still in control. You still choose when and how you will serve. But when you become a servant, then serving actually becomes a way of life. You relinquish the need to be in control, the need to gain anything from those whom you serve. 
In many ways, this was a game with which the disciples were quite familiar. In those days, it was customary for the servant of a host to wash the feet of their guests; it was a sign of hospitality. Roads were dirty. There was no sewage system in that day. There were no paved streets, and walking was the primary mode of transportation. Dirty feet were pretty much the order of the day, so it was customary before a meal for a servant to wash the feet. 
It wasn't a pleasant job, and you wouldn't have wanted anyone except the people you didn't much care about, to see and touch your feet. Perhaps, if you were trying to gain the love or respect of someone, then maybe you would wash their feet, but you certainly wouldn't want the person whose love you were trying to earn to wash yours. That was just how it worked, or maybe not. Indeed, Jesus showed them a new way.
He had no need to manipulate, no need for image maintenance. John writes, “Jesus knowing … that He had come forth from God and was going back to God, got up from supper and laid aside His garments;” He took on the very nature of a servant. The ones who make themselves servants don't have anything to prove, because they know who they are. 
Jesus knew he had come from God, and was going back to God. And indeed, His capacity for servanthood was directly related to his security in that identity. His capacity to love was fully related to the knowledge that he himself was so loved; so extraordinarily loved, that he needed nothing beyond that love. It exists only in the person who knows God in such a way that they don't need anything from the object of their love.
Again, before the commandment to love others is about others, it's about us. Before it's about the person sitting next to you, it's about you. We love because he first loved us. You cannot share the love of Jesus with others unless and until you first embrace it for yourself. 
Jesus knew the months to come would not be easy for these disciples. He knew they would be called to love the unlovable. He knew that for many the mission would include persecution and death. He knew that they would need this moment when God’s love became deep down and personal; the same love that sustained Jesus. In fact, he knew the mission will only be possible if they had this moment. So slowly, Jesus began working his way around the room washing feet: one by one, washing their dirty, grimy feet.
III. After church one Sunday, when I was perhaps six years old, my mother took me along to visit a fellow church member who was a patient in a local nursing home. I remember nothing of the person who was the purpose for the visit, but as we walked down the hall, my mother saw someone else and for whatever reason, we entered that patient’s room. 
Seated in a wheelchair, was an old man and seated next to him was an elderly lady with the old man’s feet in her lap; To suggest that his feet were not pleasant to look at would have been a gross understatement. I recoiled a bit and attempted to leave the room, but my mother’s presence behind me blocked my exit, so there I stood. I suppose the elderly woman, sensing my discomfort, thought an explanation was in order, so she looked at me and volunteered, “John is my husband, but he doesn’t remember me anymore. I know his feet hurt, so I rub them when I visit and that makes him smile.”
 
I don’t remember anything more about that man or woman, but I remember that moment. Even though I didn't have the vocabulary to name it as “love,” that picture has stuck with me because it was different, because it was extraordinary, because that lady had shaken up the ordinary for me. I knew she loved her husband by the way she held his feet, how she cared about the part of him that was the most broken. 
We all have broken parts of ourselves that we'd rather not have anyone see. For the disciples, this was the case as well. In that room with Jesus on that night, there were hearts full of contradiction. There was one saying all the right things outwardly, but inwardly plotting great evil; that was Judas. There was another, albeit with the best of intentions, yet when push came to shove on the day following, fear would get the best of him, and he’d do the very thing he promised never to do; that was Peter.
Later on that night, Jesus would tell the group that “one of you is going to betray me.” He was talking about Judas, but apparently Judas wasn't the obvious choice. John writes that his disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he was talking about. 
In the past whenever I’ve read that line I’ve just sort of assumed they were all wondering because they were sure they were not the one. As I was reading that passage this week I couldn't help but think, what if they're confused because deep down, what they're really wondering is: “Am I the one?” Does He know my fears, my doubts, my innermost thoughts? Does He know the secret places in my heart where I have hidden the things of which I am ashamed? Am I the one?”
One of life’s greatest fears is that we'll be found out: that our dirty, grimy feet will be exposed. The fear is not just the exposure, but that such exposure will leave us unloved. Perhaps this is why when it's Peter's turn to have his feet washed, he puts up a fight. As Jesus says to Peter, “Give Me your feet.” Peter says, “Never shall you wash my feet.” Jesus tells Peter, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” In other words, unless you experience my love for you; in no sense can you embody my love as servant to others.  
It was Jesus here both expressing and demonstrating the depth of love that would be required for true discipleship. Peter then responds, “Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.” I am convinced that each of the disciples had a moment that night when they knew they were loved and they would cherish that moment going forward; but what about us? What do we know of such love? 
IV. The command Jesus gave to the disciples that night changed the world profoundly and forever. It goes far beyond loving our neighbor as ourselves; because it elevates the command to a new and higher plane as Jesus challenges them, and now us, to love, “even as I have loved you.”  
It should go without saying that in our world servanthood is no longer about foot washing. Oh, some churches practice it symbolically, but the reality of true servanthood, whether then or now, requires a myriad of difficult and sacrificial responses. Yet it begins for us exactly as it did for the disciples by allowing Jesus to love us deep down and personal; and in that sense Jesus is still saying, “Give Me your feet.”
 
Between the commotion and celebration of Palm Sunday and the noise and celebration of Easter, let things get profoundly personal. We need to allow ourselves to be loved with a love that shakes up the ordinary, a love that loves to the utmost, a love that reaches deep into all the shadows and the contradictions of our life. A love in which Jesus comes to you and to me; comes to us and says, “Give Me your feet.”

  This is the Word of the Lord for Today; Amen and Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Rid of the Garbage" August 12, 2018 (Ephesians 4:25-5:2)

About a dozen years ago there was a television situation comedy entitled My Name is Earl .   The premise was that in the past, Earl had taken a lot of wrong turns that had harmed many people. then he wins a lottery he has an epiphany and decides to atone by contacting all those whom he has wronged and attempting to undo, insofar as possible, all the damage he has caused. And to do that, he has made a list of all the people he needs to contact and that list goes with him everywhere. On one of the early shows he referred to it as cleaning up the garbage in his life. And perhaps one of the things that made that show popular was the realization that, when it comes to having garbage in our lives, there’s a little bit of Earl in all of us.   We all have emotional and spiritual garbage and clutter we’ve accumulated, and like Earl discovered, it is hard to get rid of and, not infrequently, it just stays with us and we just drag it along with us wherever we go. We may have things in ou

4-01-2018 Easter - "The Emptiness That is Full of Promise" John 20:1-18

I heard about a little boy who sat down next to his friend in church one Easter Sunday morning and the friend did a double take when he noticed the boy had a really ugly looking black eye. His friend asked, “How’d you get the shiner?” The boy replied, “I ate some Easter candy.” His friend said, “Eating Easter candy doesn’t give you a black eye.” The boy responded, “It does if the candy belongs to your sister!” I heard another Easter story about two brothers who were getting ready to boil some eggs to color for Easter. “I’ll give you ten dollars if you let me break three of these on your head,” said the older one. “Promise?” asked the younger. “Promise!” Gleefully, the older boy broke a raw egg over his brother’s head, then another one. The younger brother braced himself for the last egg, but then nothing happened. Finally, the younger brother growing anxious asked: “Don’t you want to break that third egg?” His brother replied, “I’d love to, but I can’t afford it!”   To be